Age of Empires (AOE) Online (abbreviated AoEO), is another new series of Microsoft’s trademark Age of Empire ~ history-based real-time strategy computer game. But the only different is that this time, Microsoft take the game totally online. Microsoft take the AOE to another level where this time player can cooperate with other player in the game to complete a quests, and trading. This game blends the real-time strategy (RTS) genre with massively multiplayer online gaming (MMO). While the new game added in lot of new breath to the existing one by e.g. allowing the player to craft items with earned materials.
Currently there are two civilizations which players are allow to choose from ~ the Greeks and Egyptians with plans to add the Celtic and Persian civilizations later. If you are new to the series, our guide below will give you some idea on how to kick things off.
Age of Empire Online – What You Need to Know
“Capital City” is the central point of your empire. Your capital City will grow in parallel with you progress through different periods in the game. At the same time, capital city can served as store house for different goods also. You will be provided with multiple options and various upgrades to strengthen your army as your capital grows.
How to make your capital strong? Simple answer, you just have to defeat your enemies and gather resources. In order to construct building and structures and their upgrade, you can buy blue prints from the “Construction Store” or you will win them after completing certain quests.
But by owning a blueprint for the structure alone won’t guarantee that you will be able to build it straight away, you must also possess enough resources in order to get thing moving. Once you have both of it, you can place it on any empty patch in the city to start your construction. In case, you decide to build some other building on the same patch, you will also have the option to move the building to some other site.
It served as a communication center/ portal in the game. Through the embassy, players can interact with other online players and exchange different goods. All the exchanged items will reach you through the trade ship and if you are not online at that time you can simply receive it later when you online.
Same like the function of embassy you will have the option to chat with other online players. By default, the chat window is located at lower left corner of the screen. You will be able to move it to anywhere on the screen and you can also adjust its size. The messages under General Tab will appear to everyone like a public chat room. LFG (Looking for Group) allows you to find the joint-venture games you can join.
Trade tab – exchanging different items or resources.
Ticker tab - allow you updated about the rewards you have earned during different quests.
If you need other commands or function for the chat box, you can type /help in the text box.
In the game, each completed quest will earn you some reward. The quest givers are marked with the exclamation mark in your Capital City. You can either accept or reject each of the quest after reading the requirements to complete the particular task.
Some quests may need you to fight while others can be related to social tasks like building some structures etc. While in the co-op quests, you can invite other players to join you through the quest map. The invitations will appear in the LFG (Looking for Group) tab of chat room. All the quests in the game can be classified into 4 groups;
Unique quest - can be completed only one time.
Repeatable quest - can be completed more than once. Blue markers show the repeatable quests.
Global quest - is a long quest featuring both the Unique and Repeatable quests. Globe icon show the global quest.
Co-op quest – is a quest that required you to invite other players to complete the same quest as you do.
Age Of Empires Online – Multiplayer Game Modes
In Arena, premium players will be able to invite to battle against free players. Non-premium members don’t have the privilege to invite. The blue prints for arena are received between level 5-7. You can invite other players through friend list, chatwindow or by chat command (/invite).
In Sparta, premium and free players can go against other players after level 6. The Empire and Sparta points earned during the battles will only be available to premium members. You can either select 1v1 or 2v2 battle from this section.
Age Of Empires Online – 15 Strategy Tips
- Keep an eye on your Town Center as it is the structure where your quests begin. It’s also a resource collecting building where farmers work to improve your overall economy. One Town Center can support up to 20 villagers so try to keep them to the maximum limit for fast resource collection.
- You should remember that villagers aren’t meant to fight so when you are under attack, it’s wise that you garrison the villagers inside the structure. At the first levels, don’t take too much risks but once you are established enough (level 15 or above), you can take your chances.
- Your capital will be surrounded by different independent factions. You can visit these areas and complete quests to earn some unique items. A good option specially when you are looking to level up fast.
- Buildings and units are very important for both defense and offense. You can build different training building which then will train units each having specific attributes. Before you build any units, you should consider the requirement and nature of the quest you are undertaking.
- If you want to attacks any other capital, too many units of single type won’t be that useful. Then there are different upgrades for both the buildings and units which can enhance the strength.
- Different points you earn can be used to improve different fields of your empire. Experience points can be spent to raise your level and expand the empire. Technology points improves the culture of your civilization.
- You can spend them to discover new technology and upgrade various units. Factions points are useful to unlock some unique items from the stores present in those territories. Empire points can buy gear for your units but only those with premium civilizations can use them.
- Advisors are wise men of your empire. You can use them after you reach level 8 when the adviser hall is available. They can boost your economy in different ways like speeding up the resource gathering or reducing the costs for different upgrades etc.
- You can use different strategies against your enemies. Usually the general plan includes the establishment of the empire first and then the army is developed to fight. I suggest that you also try the element of surprise.
- Quickly develop an army first and attack your enemy which may be defenseless at the start, busy in gathering resources. Otherwise you can strengthen your own borders first and then plan to attack. It all depends on your playing style.
- If you are running out of resources in your area, you can use scouts to explore other regions for additional resources. So, don’t hesitate to send a scout or two to find extra supplies.
- Crafting becomes an important element after Age II. You will be able to build workshops and crafting schools for different consumables and equipment. Each school has its own benefit but at one time, you can only use two schools at most.
- So choose according to your requirements. Consumables can improve your civilization through unique units, improved abilities and and resource caches. Each consumable once used will have a certain cool down time. They can be used only in an outpost.
- Inventory displays every item you have. You can use it by clicking the crate icon at the bottom right of your screen. To increase the several slots in the inventory, you need to build storage houses.
- The technology tree (which affects economy, military and utility) is another strategic element of the game. Every upgrade will give you specific benefits. Again, it depends on your needs that which upgrade you should opt for. You also have the option to reset the tree if things don’t go right for you.
You can refer to the official website of Age of Empire Online Here.